The South African Poultry Association has attempt to increase import tariffs for chicken meat to 82%

Thursday, 18 July 2019 00:00 Written by  font size decrease font size decrease font size increase font size increase font size
The South African Poultry Association has attempt to increase import tariffs for chicken meat to 82% Photo By Gettyimages

The South African Poultry Association (SAPA) has announced its attempt to increase import tariffs for chicken meat to 82%.

 

These efforts are followed by the loss of domestic chicken producers in the country from imports of this product.

according to estimates, 47 percent of local breeders have lost their business in the past few years - Izaak Breitenbach – SAPA manager said.

It seems that the import of low-cost chicken meat has been a major factor in this trend.

Although the South African Administrative Commission for International Trade (ITAC) has previously assessed this process as unfair, it has not yet taken effective action.

According to estimates, South African citizens consumed 1,845 million tons of chicken meat last year, while local production was only 1.365 million tons. In other words, local South African producers are only able to produce about 70% of the country's chicken needs, and inevitably, the remaining 30% must come from other countries.

Import tariff increases for chicken meat could increase the price of this product to 32% in the South African market and push consumers into account, according to the BFAP's Food and Agriculture Bureau (BFAP) and challenge food security for the poor.

It should be noted that the Poultry Meat tariff is currently 37%.

 

Read 145 times
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Who's Online

We have 83 guests and no members online

Hot events

Template Settings

Color

For each color, the params below will give default values
Black Blue Brow Green Cyan

Body

Background Color
Text Color
Layout Style
Select menu
Google Font
Body Font-size
Body Font-family